Friday, November 23, 2012

The Ugly Love Affair with Coupons

http://blogs.browardpalmbeach.com/cleanplatecharlie/2011/11/waiters_hate_coupons.php


In our struggling economy, I completely understand the desire to save a buck. However, when an overzealous customer is overcome by the coupon craze, things can get ugly.

The blog entry, Five Reasons Your Server Hates Coupons, highlights five of the major reasons a waiter or waitress begins to fret when presented with that ugly square of paper. Low tips are often a result of a reduced bill (or a cheap customer), and expired or limited offers can often anger the customer. Reason number three on the list, "Using Multiple Coupons", is an example of what happens when an obsessively frugal guest has gone coupon-crazy.

While serving a table of four last week, I was presented with a 20 percent off coupon at the start of the meal. When the foursome had concluded their dinner, I removed the 20 percent and presented them with the check. They filled it with their money and handed it back. I walked away to the register and opened it-only to find some cash and a $25 off Dining Deal coupon.

A strict rule at my restaurant is no combined offers-one type of coupon per table. This message is presented clearly on each coupon. Each offer also instructs the customer to present the coupon to the server upon being seated-so that I may instruct of them of any limitations beforehand.

I begrudgingly headed back to the table to begin my dreaded "I'm sorry, but you can't do this" speech. They were at first understanding-they asked for the 20 percent off coupon back, and said they would use the $25 Dining Deal instead.

I returned once again to the register, re-discounted the check to its new amount of $62, and began to count the cash stuffed into the black vinyl check-holder. There was only two 20-dollar bills and a 10-dollar bill. Wait...what?

A third time I return to the table, now visibly frustrated. I opened the folder on the table.

"I'm sorry sir, but your check is $62, and there is only $50 here."

Before the man who had paid me could even respond, the two middle-aged women at the table began to snap.

"No no, there is plenty of money there."

I tried to explain that I had taken off the $25, and that the balance was $62. I showed them the $50 cash.

The miscommunication continued for another minute, all of us growing angrier until we quarreling like children, shouting at one another in the middle of the restaurant.

"I didn't pocket your $20," I rudely retorted at one point.

Finally: "THERE'S TWO OF THESE," cried one of the women, unfolding the $25 Dining Deal to reveal a second coupon underneath. My face must have been scarlet-red at this point.

"BUT YOU CAN ONLY USE ONE!"

At this point they asked to speak with the manager, who only echoed my instruction. I have learned that if there is one thing customers despise, it's to find out the ugly truth-they are not always right.

"We come here all the time, and the owner always lets me use more than one of these," one of the women remarked after the chip was knocked from her shoulder. Another popular tactic used by disenfranchised guests-name-dropping the owner without even knowing his name. He is just the ambiguous "owner".

The customers then insisted I split their check, so each couple could use a coupon. I obliged, without permission from management. I informed the table that I had not been authorized to do that for them, and if they attempted to do it another time, they might be told no.

"Oh, we will not be back," one woman shot cattily.

What a loss.

No comments:

Post a Comment